What Makes A Good Wedding Cake?
Here are My Suggestions to What Will Make Not Only A Good Wedding Cake, but also, a memorable one (in a good way)
1. SIMPLE- Now I Don't Mean Boring, I Mean Keep the cake Beautiful but not over-done. Exception: If Your wedding is extremely extravagant.. but even then.. I don't think it's that good of an idea
2. MODERATION - If you are having a small wedding, stick to a Smaller Cake. No Need for 7 tiers, especially since most people don't really eat cake at weddings anymore.
3. ELEGANCE - You want your cake to stand out and you want people to remember it, but You don't want people to think your cake is tacky either.
4. THEME - Stick to your theme, but don't make your cake a theme, remember this isn't a birthday party. Tie your theme in subtly so it can be sophisticated and elegant. Also, don't use the cake as the time to Represent your mutual love for cats, when the theme of your wedding is A Stroll Along The Beach.
- DO Make a Groom's Cake, you can personalize it anyway you like and it won't seem tacky and it will make your husband feel more special.. on a day that is just a little bit more about you then him
- DO make cake tiers different flavors , to give your guest options, this also works if the Bride and Groom can't agree on a mutual flavor.
- DO have a smaller cake for yourself and cupcakes for your guest
- DO have a sweets bar
Below Are Pictures of Cakes I Saw on The Knot.com and are Cakes, I believe hit the nail on the head.. So Bravo to the Baker and to the Couple who's idea it was.
|By Maggie's Cakes; Santa Fe, NM|
|Celebrating Life Cakes; Saint Louis, MO|
|Simon Lee Bakery|
|Sophie's Choice Bakery, Fredricksburg|
|Bella e Dolce; Cheboygan|
|Sweet Cakes Design|
This is just one of those cakes that pretty much works for any wedding, just change the colors to your theme and there you go, it's simple,elegant and a great size. The flowers aren't crowded and there are just enough of them.
|Ron-Ben Israel Cakes, New York|
|Bijoux Doux by Ellen Boumwall|
|Gail Waston Custom Cakes|
Cakes that Left a Bad Taste
These are the cakes, your guests smiled and said " oh your cake is great!" but behind your back they are all saying "What were they thinking" People tend to use either there themes either too literally or they try to personalize them.. save that for the Groom's Cake, or your birthday or find a place in the wedding where you can commemorate it, So guest will say "oh that's cute and smart" and not "Why would they do that?"
What went wring here was the cake topping. The Groom worked for Disney, so I understand wanting to represent it in your wedding and I get Wall-E and Eva's love. This may have even worked.. but the cake which is adorned with lace texture, say simple, sweet and vintage. Not Disney Robots.
This cake is just all kinds of wrong, to me it looks like the bride and groom ordered a nice wedding cake and the ring bearer dressed it up. Not only that but the Cake Topper doesn't work for the theme of this cake or even the cake, Again, if you like action figures so much. Either, name your tables after them or make it a grooms cake, because sorry but it looks cheap and tacky otherwise.
Cute Cake.. for a grooms cake or a birthday. If the bride and groom are pilots or enjoy flying, traveling etc. They could have found a pretty cake topper to adorn their cake.
I don't even understand this cake. To me it looks like a kids made the cake. I don't get it.
Now don't get me wrong, Your wedding is your wedding so at the end of the day if it is exactly what you want then that is all that matters, however, I find most brides want the wedding to be how they envision it and they don't want to have it come off cheap and tacky. They want there guests to talk about how elegant the wedding was when they leave, not make it a joke.